Sunday 22 June 2014

International Fangirl Day

Hey girl hey
Fangirl...
I believe I have been one since....I discovered High School Musical?
Yeah it was my favourite thing in Primary School. I got really into it and I just thought it was the best thing ever. Zac Efron was my first all time celebrity crush and well...still is one of my big crushes. I mean...have you SEEN him lately?
I think we all know what I am talking about.
But yeah...I thought since this is a blog about being a fangirl I would take the time to talk about some fandoms. I mean some I am more active in than others but I would still consider myself a part of them.
While I think I have left the High School Musical fandom it will always have a special place in my heart, I still know and listen to all the songs, I was a big Zanessa shipper back in the day...and yes, sometimes I wish I could break out into song in the middle of a corridor. And everyone join and everything but I can't.
My next big fandom was Twilight.
I mean okay I was definitely not one of the first to be in this fandom I mean I only got into the craze in 2009 - New Moon. Yeah. Basically Robert Pattinson threw me off of it a little. Not just him but the fact everyone was obsessing over him and I had no idea why - now I know why. Rob definitely grew on me as time went on...like when he got a hair cut haha but I love him now. Me and Rob - we are good. I think he's amazing and I love him as Edward and he's just...perfect.
So yeah Twilight was a big thing for me these past few years. I mean Twilight is what caused me to really get on the internet.. Like I was on it before Twilight but with it I joined Twitter, I found Tumblr...I really just got out there and away from Facebook.
I mean I think I've told this story a million times but because of Twilight and Glee, everyone kind of hated me on Facebook. I made so many Facebook statuses and looking back, some of them are very cringey. But I won't apologise for who I was like because I am who I am and if you don't like it...leave.
Right now I am pretty sure half of my Facebook friends have hidden me from their timelines...
Yet some people follow me on Twitter?
Like if you hate when I fangirl and tweet all the time then why do you still follow me? To talk about me obviously, or you're too lazy to unfollow but like...I definitely feel people probably talk about me. Which is fine because I probably talk about them to. I mean let's be real.
Anyway...
Another fandom that's big for me is Glee. People tend to have abandoned it over the years but I will always love Glee. I can't even tell you why I just love it. It always makes me happy. And yeah okay sometimes yes it can be kind of terrible but I stick with it because Glee is Glee.
Literally if you didn't like it after the first season well you won't ever like it I feel haha. I mean it is what it is. I think part of me is drawn to it because it had a High School Musical feel - which everyone told me when I first watched it. So I think that's a big thing that made me want to watch.
I think the one after that was Vampire Diaries. I was set against watching this...but then...I gave in.
Basically one summer my friend watched it non-stop and was obsessed and so I finally caved. I got into it halfway through its season 2. I love it, I mean it's really good and while I was unsure of having another vampire series in my life they are very different. I mean I love my Damon and I love my Stefan and I try to keep my love for them equal but I tend to like Stefan a little bit more. I feel like he needs it since everyone on my Twitter timeline has those Damon feels.
I always tend to want to go with the hipster vote. The unpopular one really haha. Because I like to be different but not in a stuck up attention seeking way.
The next one after that I think was Blood on the Dance Floor.
My friend showed me them as a joke but like...I'm obsessed. They're song "sexting" was catchy and soon I discovered they had a lot of inappropriately catchy songs. And while a lot of people hate them, due to rumours or their appearance or the music I like them.
Again with the unpopular opinion.
But I just think they are amazing, they are making it on their own with their own record label and they are pretty amazing and down to earth. Yes, they do look a little different but that's part of why I love them. Plus, Dahvie is so sweet and has tweeted me many times so I definitely feel special because of this haha.
Like I am always unsure of their music when it's first released but I do end up really loving it. I never really pictured it being my music taste but it is and I'm happy with it.
Soon after came Pretty Little Liars...
One summer I watched like five TV series... Desperate Housewives, Hell Cats (cancelled after one season), Privileged (cancelled after 2? seasons), The Big Bang Theory (up to season 5), How I Met Your Mother (up to season 9) and Pretty Little Liars. Like it was a lot of TV and no social interaction that I can recall hahaha.
But Pretty Little Liars was only on season 2? I think...It was a while back. But I was obsessed.
I mean it's definitely a show for me because it's teenage girl drama and as a teenage girl, I feel I can relate although at the same time not really because my friend never disappeared, I am not being stalked/tortured by some anonymous person and um... I have never shop lifted, had a drug problem, had an affair with a teacher or am a lesbian...but you know...it's a great show.
I definitely need to read the books but I am so into this show...it's amazing.
Soon after that came Gossip Girl. I know Gossip Girl is over but like...the Upper East Side guys...it's where it's at.
I feel it has a similar tone to Pretty Little Liars, an anonymous person spreading their secrets? Yeah similar theme although in this show Gossip Girl isn't trying to kill anyone. Haha. I really loved the series, I jumped ships so many times it was hard to keep up with who I was supporting but it was a really good/crazy ride for me and I love the show a lot. I still watch it because you can never get enough of the Upper East Side.
And then after that it was my latest one...Fifty Shades of Grey.
I'll let you in on a little secret...
I thought I might get hooked on this...
I mean I was set to read it for ages and then I FINALLY got around to it. I LOVE Twilight fanfiction, literally once I find a good Edward/Bella fanfiction, I am set. I mean every story I end up liking has a lot of lemons and I really can't help that part of me that likes reading it...
Anyway yes, so this just happened to be the most talked about Twilight fanfiction because it's an international best seller and is becoming a movie.
I had definitely heard about it as Master of the Universe. Hell I wanted to read MOTU way back when...but I turned it down when I went to the fanfiction and saw the tiny print and long, long paragraphs haha. I sent it to the back of my reading list and kind of forgot about it.
But no I am hooked. Like...I need a Christian Grey.
As with a few of my fandoms there has definitely been backlash. As if people really want to think about this relationship as anything but super abusive and not like a BDSM relationship at all and all this other stuff. But guys, it's fictional.
Literally at the end of the day I want a guy who is as sweet as Christian, he's caring, rich and just...amazing, plus Jamie Dornan is the cherry on top of this cake.
Similar to Rob I was unsure of how I felt about him but eventually I was like - hell yeah. Not to mention the fact he's a Northern Irish guy like...they don't just happen. Trust me, they don't...not good looking ones anyway haha.
He's super great and I just...I'm crazy about him now haha.
So yeah those are all my main fandoms - well the ones that are still relevant and a big part of my life.
The one that is sort of underlying and will always be there is Friends. I mean it is just the show you watch. While I have learnt it's not for everyone I feel it is definitely one for the ages. Like it's still relevant and I can quote it at random times and most people just look at me weirdly...but it's definitely timeless.
Another fandom like that is Mean Girls. Although I have to say I'm only there for the quotes. I don't follow the "rules" haha. I mean I hardly ever wear pink...and my hair is in a pony tail quite a lot...
Finally two fandoms I think will stay with me much longer than the rest are Sims and Animal Crossing.
Mainly because unlike TV shows they are never really fading. They are always coming out with new games and they are timeless and things you can always turn to. While yes, you can do the same with TV I feel it is not the same, because actors age, they come and go but a Sim/Animal Crossing town you created ten years ago could still be there and almost as if you never left it. I say almost because with Animal Crossing real time does pass haha.
So yes, this was just an appreciation post to all the fandoms. The ones I am in, the ones I might not be in but I definitely think they are great. I mean yeah sometimes they are overboard but so is every addiction. I mean a fandom is just an addiction it can be unhealthy if you let it. But honestly I think I've calmed over the years haha.
So here is to another long year of fangirling and many more years to come. x

No comments:

Post a Comment