Sunday 20 July 2014

When Fandoms Collide

I have an issue on my Twitter timeline.
Ian Somerhalder has been seen getting close with Nikki Reed. The photos suggest they are a couple.
Everyone is FREAKING OUT because Nikki is Nina Dobrev's friend and Nina and Ian used to go out.
People are literally attacking Nikki because of this.
And I'm over here like...why?
We all know the girl code okay. We all saw Mean Girls.
"Ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends okay?! That's like the rules of feminism!"
But what I really hate is that they make Nikki out to sound like a man stealer. Which she isn't.
I mean I haven't really heard of Nina and Ian being a thing for a while. I swear they broke up a long time ago...While I admit to never have paying much attention to their relationship people on Twitter definitely talked about it.
As for Nikki, she was married but then she got a divorce, I think it was earlier this year and I was sad about that because I thought they were good together. But at the same time it was understandable why they broke up.
I know Nina and Nikki are friends because they did an advert campaign thing for health insurance in America. Everyone saw it I'm sure...
Now I'm on Twitter and people are freaking out because of these photos of Nikki and Ian and saying horrible things about Nikki and being upset because they can never see Nina and Ian together again.
Personally I think it's a bit of an overreaction.
I mean as fangirls we due tend to ship intensely. But we are not in control of these people's lives.
We can ship and fantasise but at the end of the day it is what it is.
I don't understand how bitching about someone is going to change it because let's face it, when you're dating a super hot guy and the world hates you for it would you really care? Or would you be super happy and in love and not give a fuck? Like really...
Plus what annoys me is that no one is saying anything about how Ian feels. I mean relationships include two people. If they both like each other they can be together, there is no real law that says they can't...and people are acting like they know exactly how it happened and it annoys me.
It will always annoy me when people try to say that they know how something happened when they don't. I mean things in the media are reported all the time, photos can be deceiving...no one ever fully knows what is going on in someone else's life.
Maybe I sound a little hypocritical because at the time of Rob and Kristen's relationship issues I was a full on shipper - still am. I refuse to be told otherwise unless it can be proven they are so not together. And the thing is we may never know. And people will hate on them if they are together because everyone will think Rob was stupid for giving Kristen another chance but honestly it isn't our business.
I love celebrity gossip as much as the next person but I will never hate on someone because of who they are dating. You don't have to agree with their choice but at least respect it.
Anyway back to this Nikki, Ian, Nina thing...
If watching TV and dealing with similar real life things have taught me anything it's that...if you like someone and you want to be with them you will be, no matter what is standing in your way.
People change and move on and we have to accept that no matter how painful it is.
If Nina was a good friend she'd be happy for them, if Nikki was a good friend she would have made sure Nina was okay with it, and if Ian was a good friend and a gentleman he wouldn't have done anything unless it was okay with Nina too.
Like really...
I just...I don't know...
I think it's weird for people to get this upset over this.
I know I have gotten worked up over a lot of things that looking back seem ridiculous but...after everything I know that there's no use getting worked up over something you can't change.
And what's worse is getting worked up about something that doesn't even really concern you, like this.
There are way more things that we could be concerned about in the world...
But at the end of the day for me? I want to be happy for them, while no I had never imagined them being together I think it's cool. I like when actors from different things I watch hang out and this is really no different.
Yes, Nina and Ian had a great relationship but it seems as though it wasn't meant to be...
So yeah, I just feel like people can't get mad at Nikki as she might not have done anything. We don't know the full story and we never will. Not unless you personally know any of these actors and are like best friends with them.
I personally just think people should calm down...
I did tweet about this but I needed to say more about it because 140 characters wasn't enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment