Wednesday 13 August 2014

Dirty Dancing - The Classic Story On Stage

So on Monday night I had the chance to see Dirty Dancing live on stage.
I wasn't sure what to expect because I had never seen the movie. Which makes you wonder why I went to see it if I didn't even know the story but my sister had gotten tickets and she had extras and so I went with her, my other sister, my mum, three of my sister's friends and my friend Ashleigh. It was definitely a girl's night.
If I could say anything about my experience it's that I finally experienced people fangirling that weren't me. I mean grown women fangirling which is something I have never encountered until now and I'll tell you something, I felt so awkward being in that room with all those women fangirling.
I guess because I didn't understand the appeal haha.
The actor playing Johnny, he is good looking and yes he looks good without a shirt but he just didn't do it for me. So when all those women were cheering at this shirtless man I was not...
It just felt awkward and me and my friend just sort of looked at each other like "what do we do?"
Anyway aside from that we had awesome seats. I mean what other way is there to see a show? I didn't know what seats we had but we definitely had a good view.


Oh another thing I noticed before the show started - everyone taking selfies. I have seen people take selfies before and you don't always look good doing it but literally everyone was doing it and me and my friend were pointing out all of them around us haha. We really love to document things and selfies are just a part of that.
Anyway the actual show - for someone who had no idea what the story was about I thought it was good. I mean I don't understand what made people fall absolutely in love with it but I guess it was a different time period when the movie was released and so I don't really get the full impact of the story. I also figured that out when a lot of the women in the crowd were in fact women and not young girls.
Anyway it was pretty amazing, the dancing especially although I suppose it would have to be given the name of the play. But yeah it was really something, and the fact they have to do that every night is astounding. It also makes me wish I could dance like that but I have no dancing skills whatsoever.
The singing was also very good although it was only really two people singing but even so it was amazing. I guess I don't have a lot of critique to give about the show haha everyone was really good.
Also through the show I noticed one of the ensemble members looked like Jamie Dornan. I mean it obviously wasn't but he looked like him and it made me happy haha. I actually looked up the actor using the Dirty Dancing tour website and his name is Lewis Kirk and he plays Johnny's understudy. I don't know if he has ever had the chance to perform that role or not but I probably would have appreciated the show a bit more if he was playing Johnny haha...
But I guess that's not the point. Other things I want to say is that the part when Baby and Johnny make love for the first time was awkward. I mean obviously it didn't show everything but you know when it's leading up to sex and it's obvious it's awkward. Well it was for me and my friend. I don't know exactly why it was awkward but it was. I guess just because you are surrounded by a lot of other people and they all know what's happening and so do you and I was sitting next to a stranger so that usually makes it awkward....
Plus I can't imagine how it feels for the actors. I mean I guess if you do it enough you don't feel that awkward about it but even so it must be weird. Plus how do you normally feel when you are standing on stage in your underwear and people are cheering and whistling at you?
It's a little off putting but then again if you have been doing it for years then it's not so bad...
Then when Johnny comes back after he has been fired and everyone is again screaming and cheering - that was deafening haha. Like I said, grown women fangirling. Plus the famous line "no one puts Baby in the corner" again more cheering.
To me this line seemed a little anti-climactic. I don't know. I mean I think because I had heard people say the line out of context I thought something a lot more tragic had happened in the story for Johnny to say that but not really.
I mean yes, dramatic things happened and Baby wasn't allowed to associate with Johnny anymore and things like that but I thought some major, horrible thing happened that she was put in a corner.
Maybe it's because now when I watch TV and movies things have stepped up their game. So it's really not the fault of the story or how it was portrayed on stage but really just me and possibly this generation. I'm not entirely sure how other people my age felt, I mean my friend knew where I was coming from but who knows what everyone else thought that didn't cheer.
Another line that seemed to be a big deal but to me wasn't was the "I carried a watermelon" line. I saw it on the merchandise and I just didn't think it was that great. I mean I think because it was only like a short thing and it wasn't as funny as it should have come across if you know what I mean...again maybe it's just me. Sometimes lines like that work really well other times it's lost on people.
Overall I did enjoy the show. No I didn't fangirl with everyone else but it is a good story. I guess because of modern times I don't appreciate it as much which is sad in a way. Just because no one's life is in danger doesn't mean the story is boring.
But yeah I would recommend going to see it because it is fun to get dressed up and have a night out at the theatre. And as someone who has never seen the movie it was a really good first time experience of the story I feel like there is definitely more life to something when it is performed in front of you.
I think the next thing to do would be to watch the actual movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment